Welcome!

This blog of mine: "Circus of Life" is a sharing of my observations, feelings,views and perspective of life, after having suddenly lost a young son. It began with this life changing moment and has been cathartic for me, ever since. If you happen to have stumbled by, I hope you find my journey of some relevance!

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Carlton Towers and beyond...

Its two weeks to date, since I lost my son,possibly one of the youngest to have succumbed and I can barely muster courage to think beyond.
But, I think we all need to!
Our minds have shifted from grief,anger,sorrow to questions about what really happened that day.I feel I can let time pass and hope we just get on with our lives or attempt to do something about it.
It is this need, that has got me thinking on whether to channel these feelings to a more constructive role.
.I wonder if the 8 other families who lost a dear one in this tragedy, feel the same.
.What about the many injured(I have yet to meet any of them!)what is going through their minds?Would they like to speak about it?
.Do we need to keep this alive, to ensure many more Carlton's can be prevented?There are many more 'Carlton Towers' on the same road, in our city and across India.
.There is a huge bureaucracy and system we are up against,is it worth our while?
.Can we really make a difference?
I would like to know what you think and especially, the thoughts of those who were injured in this accident.If any of you know any others who may be interested,please forward this blog post.

Do we move beyond...?

Uday
PS-If you feel you'd rather respond by an email,feel free to mail: beyondcarlton@gmail.com

5 comments:

  1. Yes we move beyond, because that’s what Akhil would have wanted us to do. Its what he would have wanted us to do for him, for ourselves, and for the country that he loved so much. We should reach out to the families of the others who fell victim to this tragedy. We should make this about a bigger purpose. Akhil would want us to make a difference. He would want us to try.

    Moving beyond does not mean we forget. I will never forget. Akhil continues to change the way I think about the world every day. By moving beyond we honor Akhil’s presence on this earth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We need to move ahead and not get bogged by the so called wimps who pass for the government

    It is time to file a PIL asking for a full investigation

    The case is sought to be closed under the pretext of punishing the electrician while the big fish get away

    We need to file a PIL asking for this case to be referred to the fast track courts

    Else the guilty will escape

    Can we do something in these lines

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your call, Uday. Like you, I too was looking for like-minded people affected by this accident to come together and ensure that the guilty are punished, that the echoes of this event ring loud and for a long time to come and that together we are able to make a difference to how fire safety laws are formulated, enforced and perceived in our country and Bangalore in particular.

    Like I said on the phone, we can't change the world in a day, but we can and will definitely bring about change one bit at a time once we get together and put our mind to it. The Upahar tragedy in Delhi in 1997 is a great example for us, where families of the victims got together and were able to secure punishment for the accused (none other than the mighty Ansals). Justice took a long time in coming, but it eventually did. The delay should not deter us.

    I'm with you. I'll contact you shortly with whatever contact details I can get for other people, and I have also started a yahoo group called Beyond Carlton (beyondcarlton@yahoogroups.co.in) so that all people who wish to join hands can contact the rest of the group using a single email ID. You can join it at this link- http://in.groups.yahoo.com/group/beyondcarlton

    Once again, please accept my heartfelt condolences. May you and your family gather the strength to carry on and may Akhil's memory be always alive in the hearts of those who knew him.

    Regards
    Nitin Dubey

    ReplyDelete
  4. Since I cannot even come close to comprehending your pain, I will desist from platitudes.
    After 9/11, the MNC I used to work in, sent us an emergency kit and insisted that the work-space be made secure and fire-proof.
    I remember laughing at what I then called a "typical American over-reaction".
    I wouldn't, now.

    I know for a fact that no one will do anything to prevent unnecessary accidents like these.
    Not the government, not any body.

    I think the best thing to do would be for us to look after ourselves.
    And insist, as a part of this, that organisations do as well, for their people.

    Hope more listen to your story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, any amount of what we write will amount to platitudes - my heartfelt condolences...
    I pointed your website to couple of my press in friends, hopefully, they could do something about it.
    God Bless.

    ReplyDelete